Tuesday 7 January 2014

Sightseers - Film.



Sightseers - (2012)
Director: Ben Wheatley
Starring: Alice Lowe, Steve Oram.
Netflix: https://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Sightseers/70243245?sod=search-autocomplete (US)

Sightseers continues my "catch-up of lots of films I missed." I'm a bit annoyed I didn't watch it sooner because it's actually quite a bit of fun.

It's hard for me not to have a soft spot for Sightseers though. It's British through and through. The idea of a caravan holiday, what people are murdered over as well as the knitting. Even without my pre-disposal to enjoying British things, Sightseers is a darkly comic roadtrip film that is thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.

It's anchored by two good performances from Lowe and Oram who really work well together. It's also hard to not root for them as they brutally kill some particularly annoying people (don't arrest me.)

My only problem is that perhaps veers too far into the violence a few times making for some unnecessarily brutal images that don't quite mesh with the rest of the film. It's more an examination of a pretty bizarre couple and what they're willing to do for each other. The violence sometimes stands out in a way that it didn't need too.

Overall though, the violence is only a minor blemish on an otherwise solid, darkly funny roadtrip film. It does put me off caravans though.

No comments:

Post a Comment